The Musée des Beaux-Arts (Museum of Fine Arts) chooses Pacific CDMs for the works of Carpeaux
The Musée des Beaux-Arts (Museum of Fine Arts) located in the 17th century town hall of Valenciennes in the North of France was built at the beginning of the 20th century and features wide open spaces, massive forms and a lofty central gallery which wraps around a stairwell.
Located within the beautifully decorated central gallery is a magnificent display of French sculpture - with good examples by local son, Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux (May 11, 1827 – October 12, 1875). 4x Pacific 12-28 CDM 150W Zoomspots and 16x Pacific 90° CDM 150W Fixed Beam luminaires have been specially installed and focused by resident technician Mr Cedric Caulier to illuminate, highlight and draw attention to these important works of art.
The son of a stonemason, Carpeaux took his first art classes in his home town of Valenciennes, and went on to Paris supported by a scholarship to the Petite Ecole and Ecole des Beaux-Arts, studying with Francois Rude. Carpeaux won the Prix de Rome in 1854, and moving to Rome to find inspiration, he there studied the works of Michelangelo, Donatello and Verrocchio. Staying in Rome from 1854 to 1861, he obtained a taste for movement and spontaneity, which he joined with the great principles of baroque art. In 1861 he made a bust of Princess Mathilde, and this later brought him several commissions from Napoleon III.
From 1860 to 1873 Carpeaux devoted his time to the multifigure allegorical group on the top of the City Hall of Valenciennes. He never managed to finish his last work, the famous "Fountain of the Four Parts of the Earth", on the Place Camille Jullian as he passed at the age of 48 in Courbevoie.
All Selecon luminaires supplied by Panavision Lumiere.